A single word can evoke whole worlds. Sometimes it has to.
Great names create contrast. They turn people’s heads. They do much more than just identify, classify or categorize. They elevate a brand and describe its personality, its essence, its core. The right brand name can be the title of the story you want to tell the world.
We create brand names that help companies, products and services express the simple truth of who or what they are. Our global orientation—as a company and a culture—means that we offer our clients names that speak across borders and boundaries.
We’ve provided names and nomenclature systems for both consumer and B2B products and services worldwide for over 40 years. Our in-house naming team is well versed in the art and science of naming across a wide range of categories and industries, including technology, financial services, healthcare, consumer products and the automotive industry. With more than 100 years of collective naming experience, we have the expertise, credentials and scale to accommodate large assignments and fast timelines.
Creating names that speak for themselves doesn’t just happen. It’s part of a careful creative process that yields unexpectedly fresh yet simple and effective names. Beyond the creative vision, though, good naming also requires the right perspective on how names add value to the larger strategic brand development process. We understand both the creative and strategic angles to create names with maximum impact.
On a practical note, we also understand the importance of integrating preliminary trademark screening and global language checks into the naming process. Additionally, our consumer research capabilities bolster our ability to deliver powerful names that produce memorable brands and winning identities.
A great name is a small but powerful strategic investment. To gain a return, you must choose your name very wisely. If you do, your name will engage your audience while separating you from the competition. That may be a lot to ask from a word or two…but it’s not a lot to ask from us.
Our Names in the Press
- Understood featured on The Ad Council - The Ad Council
- NCLD's James Wendorf Introduces Understood.org - YouTube, 9/5/14
- Helping Parents Deal with Learning and Attention Issues - The New York Times, 10/23/14
- Tagged Ditches IPO Plans, Acquires Tinode And Renames Itself If(we) - 10/16/14
- Social Network Tagged Rebrands Itself as an App Incubator - Wall Street Journal, 10/16/14
- American Health Assistance Foundation Announces Name Change to BrightFocus Foundation - BrightFocus.org, 2/1/13
- WellPoint Announces Intent to Change Corporate Name to Anthem, Inc. – New York Times, 8/28/14
- WellPoint Changes Its Name to Anthem – Wall Street Journal, 8/12/14
- TouchTunes Unveils Playdium, The Next Generation Platform At 2014 Amusement Expo – PR Newswire, 3/26/14
- OfferBoard Brings Crowd Investment To Growth Capital – TechCrunch, 5/5/14
- WVU Reed College of Media begins 75th year with new name, facilities and curriculum (West Virginia University) — World News, 8/21/14
- From “Brian’s Wish” to “Shatterproof”: A Brilliant Rebrand Strategy for an American NGO – The Branding Journal, 6/24/14
- A New Voice on Addiction (Shatterproof) – Wall Street Journal, 6/28/14
- Curvature Empowers CIOs to Challenge Status Quo with Game-Changing Approach to Managing IT Infrastructure & Operations – Yahoo! Finance, 7/16/14
- Curvature empowers CIOs to challenge status quo with new approach to managing IT infrastructure and operations – Reuters, 7/14/14
- The Clever Gimmicks Behind T. Boone Pickens' New 'Green' Fuel (Redeem) – Forbes, 10/7/13
- Fuel From Landfill Methane Goes on Sale (Redeem) – New York Times, 10/2/13
- Offset, Shutterstock's New High-End Image Marketplace Begins Invite-Only Preview – Bloomberg, 5/31/13
- How Intrapreneurship Encouraged Shutterstock’s Creative Success (Offset) – Fast Company, 4/22/14
- Unused Images Are Fodder for New High-End Stock Photo Agency (Offset) — Wired, 11/11/13
- Coinstar Changes Name to Outerwall – Bloomberg TV, 7/2/13
- Shutterstock Launches Offset, A New Brand For Its Curated Collection Of Licensable Images – TechCrunch, 3/27/13
- Hello Moto X (Moto Maker)– TechCrunch, 8/1/13
- Hands On With Motorola's Moto Maker – PC News, 8/16/13
- Motorola Skip clip unlocks your phone's lock screen – CNET, 8/16/13
- Motorola Skip Unlocks Your Phone With Just a Tap – Mashable, 8/6/13
- Demand Media Names Domain Name Services Rightside — Pulse 2.0, 11/5/13
- So Long, YouSendIt. Hello Hightail. – Bloomberg, 7/10/13
- In New Challenge to Dropbox and Box, YouSendIt Morphs Into Hightail – AllThingsD.com, 7/10/13
- Omnio iPad App Makes it Quick and Easy for Medical Professionals to Access the Tools They Need – HealthTechZone.com, 3/26/13
- Rebranding a Nonprofit Committed to Saving Sight and Mind (BrightFocus Foundation) – About.com, 3/19/13
- With New Social App Swoon, People Discovery Is a Thumb-Flick Away – AllThingsD.com, 3/15/13
- The New York Times Company to Rebrand International Herald Tribune (The International New York Times) – CBSNews, 2/25/13
- Cody Museum Has New Name: ‘Buffalo Bill Center of the West’) – CodyEnterprise.com, 2/10/13
- Adecco Combines Workforce Management and Recruitment Groups to Launch Pontoon in Jacksonville –Jacksonville Business Journal, 1/10/13
- Epson MegaPlex MG-850HD Projector Featured on Great American Country Network's New Series "Great American Heroes" – PRNewswire, 11/7/12
- Life Technologies Announces Next-Gen Digital PCR Instrument Designed for Widespread Adoption (QuantStudio) – PRNewswire, 11/7/12
- BlueSprig Launches 'AirCover Family Locator' – TMCnet, 10/4/12
- Epson MegaPlex – Big Sound. Big Picture. Projector For Business (and fun). iPad Dock Too. – Business Insider, 5/29/12
- From Touchscreen to Silver Screen (MegaPlex) – Wired, 1/9/12
- Big Screen, Powered by iPhone (MegaPlex) – The New York Times, 12/7/11
- BlueSprigTM Launches Lightweight Utility Apps JetBoost and JetClean – MarketWatch, 10/14/11
- Guided Tour of Applied Biosystems QuantStudio™ 12K Flex System – YouTube, 10/10/11
- Beget Drives Excitement With "Deals For Wheels" Promotion – Reuters, 5/18/11
- Demand Media distances itself from junk with branded content (typeF) – AdWeek, 5/13/11